The Lucky Number

January 2nd, 2014 apcook15

A Happy New Years’ to you all!! Triskaidekaphobics among you may finally relax – and your first homework assignment of 2014 is to look up just  what exactly that means. 2013 certainly had its fair shares of ups and downs (many of which were documented here) but I want to thank each and every one of you for making it the unforgettable year it was.  I realize I’m not the spry, youthful freshman I was way back at the start of this blog, but you keep returning anyways. I really do appreciate it and thank you all from the bottom of my heart! I promise, as long as there’s something to write about – and there always is – I’ll keep writing about it!

Optimist that I am, I’m always looking forward, so here without further ado is a list of things I’m most excited about for 2014!

1. The Disney World 1/2 Marathon in sunny, beautiful, warm Orlando next weekend (I sit here now writing this to you in the dregs of 2014’s first blizzard. That took long…). As anyone who knows me is aware of, I’ve been a Disney nut since my childhood in the 90s, so I’ll take any excuse I can to head down there. The fact that I get to use running as my reason is just a bonus!
  2. The Spring Semester class schedule! Detective fiction, creative writing, Greek mythology – after some RIGOROUS classes this last fall, I’m looking forward to taking some pleasure classes this time around. Notice I don’t use the word easy; that’s not in the vocabulary of a Holy Cross student. Still, I’m more looking forward to these classes than to any I have been in a long time!
  3. The Boston Marathon in April! As anyone who reads this blog will know, 2013’s Marathon and the tumultuous circumstances in the aftermath were among the most  pivotal and life-changing moments I’ve ever experienced, so I’m honored and completely stoked that I get the opportunity to make a return journey this spring. The Boston Herald just predicted that this year’s upcoming running will rank, “among the biggest events in Boston sports history.” And ladies and gents, I’ve got my golden ticket!
  4. The return of my friends from studying abroad. From the facebook posts and tweets I’ve been seeing over the past few months, everyone who’s gone abroad each has a book’s worth of stories to tell, and I personally can’t wait to hear each and every one of them. Anyone looking for some cliff notes versions can check out any one of the excellent study abroad blogs on this site! A personal favorite of mine is my good friend Harry Crimi’s, who’s done an excellent job so far chronicling his time in and around Athens this last semester; I’m genuinely looking forward to seeing what he does this spring in Rome, and if the Eternal City is up to the daunting challenge of hosting him…
  5. The start of senior year. This one’s actually a mix of excitement and dread, since it mean’s I’m that much closer to walking across the graduation stage into the real world. It’ll mean head honcho-status on campus, first crack at registration for all the best classes, and a senior apartment that’d top most real world living spaces, but I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t trade it all for another four years as a Crusader.

These are all just the obvious things I can think of off the top of my head. Funnily enough, I’ve found most of the best things that happen are those that pop up unexpectedly, and the smart thing to do is always leave room for that spontaneity. As always, I’ll keep coming back here to talk about all the best things, so until then, I wish you all a very happy New Year and congratulate you for making it through the unlucky ’13!!!